View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
And Arilou, people making games a college/professional level understanding of computer programming... My brother made a game from scratch, when he was about the age I am, but then stopped at about the time when he started College, and eventually took up programming as a career,
First of all, you are not your brother. As such, what he has or has not accomplished is irrelevant to your situation. Second of all, here you say he made a game from scratch and below you said he started with Game Maker. Which is it? I've explained to you multiple times that "making a game from scratch" means writing all of the code that makes it work from the ground up. Since Game Maker provides the core code for you and you mostly do scripting you are not making a game from scratch. So if your brother produced game content with Game Maker, he did not "make a game from scratch" either.

As I said, any halfwit (no offense) can use Game Maker to make content. Whether it is good content is another matter, but the point is that it is not complicated to use and therefore totally believable that that is what you have really been doing. The issue is that it took ages to drag out of you that this is what you were really doing and even after that you persist in using inaccurate terminology that makes what you're doing sound more impressive than it really was like, "make a game from scratch."

Quote:
I'd say that gives me a pretty reason to at least start with Gamemaker(like he did), without being made fun of for it?
It's comments like this that make people think you are stupid. I just repeatedly said that it is fine to start with Game Maker and that has nothing to do with why people were making fun of you. Read what Clubbz said to find out the real reason; as usual he has provided a reasoned analysis of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand View Post
The only thing you can do is ignore it, and live your life however you want.
Or you could take it as the form of criticism it is and realize that there's something about you that you need to change. That way you don't end up posting dozens of nonsensical ideas that waste everyone's time.