View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 12:31 AM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Honestly, I wasn't looking for allies / teachers, I learned Game maker by myself, along with several other languages. And for the allies, I honestly just wanted feedback, Arilou is the main source for this whole 'debate'.

Quote:
None of this sounds like "from scratch" or even an accepted coding language.
My answer to this. after asking someone if it is considered a real language
Quote:
short answer: yes.

long answer: Technically it's a scripting language: and a scripting language is defined according to Wikipedia:

Quote:
A scripting language or script language is a programming language that supports scripts, programs written for a special run-time environment that can interpret (rather thancompile) and automate the execution of tasks that could alternatively be executed one-by-one by a human operator. Environments that can be automated through scripting includesoftware applications, web pages within a web browser, the shells of operating systems (OS), and embedded systems. A scripting language can be viewed as a domain-specific language for a particular environment; in the case of scripting an application, this is also known as an extension language. Scripting languages are also sometimes referred to as very high-level programming languages, as they operate at a high level of abstraction, or as control languages, particularly for job control languages on mainframes.

So, yes, GML is a real programming language, a high level programming language. It's major downfall stems from the fact that it can only, realistically, be used in the GM IDE which again is the main source of the ridicule. If GML would be a stand-alone language it would be just as valid as any other language.To be honest it is no different than JAVA; which is essentially bound to its interpreter. Game maker is bound to the IDE while Java is bound to the executioner, albeit the interpreter is so common we don't even consider it to be bound at all, it is considered a stable to have some variation Java.

Last edited by Josiah : 05-07-2014 at 02:33 AM.