View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Let me clarify, you said you're making a map editor just now, and you said before about having someone helping you make maps (using the map editor), this didn't seem like a declaration of making your own. I apologize for this assumption, but you really should specify WHICH map editor you're talking about, to me, "The Map Editor" = "The Wyvern Map Editor" unless otherwise noted. =)

And I'd definitely be interested to see this map editor you're making. Hopefully you programmed it cross platform, I'm running a Mac. I once tried my hand at making a map editor with the PyGame module and Python, and it sucked really bad, ate up too many system resources (my idiocy at the time led me to refreshing the text file I was saving to every time my loop ran back to where I was - It autosaved, but it also refreshed tremendous amounts of data at once.)

Maybe I'm feeding a troll right now, but I'd also be interested to see a little of your code (I'm not trying to rip it off, just want to see where you are now vs. where you were [nowhere?] a few months ago.) Why not take a screencap (video) of your map editor running and then your game running to show that your game actually loads your maps? You could always set it up so that in the terminal, you can just type (say you're using Java, for pseudo-purposes) java MySuperCoolGame AmazingMap.map ... That way testing your maps is much easier. You just need to have the program check for args, and if you have them, bring them into a function that will read your map for you, and if you don't, have it start from wherever either you last were or your default start location is. =D Many programming languages come with this functionality, so whatever your using shouldn't be a big deal in doing this, either.

Last edited by Nodlove : 05-06-2014 at 09:32 AM.