View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
This is more than enough. I really only want the game engine and a small group of maps to be released. The purpose of the maps is to be an example of how to do things. People could then build their own game on top of this framework.
I am aware that you were suggesting this, but you were suggesting this on the basis that there would still be a Wyvern as you repeated again in your latest post...

Quote:
Yes it would be semi-competitive with wyvern, but I think the cooperative aspects (others independently improving on the game engine) would outweigh the competitiveness. Wyvern would take on a similar role to Half-Life.
Therefore, my point was that it wouldn't be competitive with Wyvern as there is no way Rhialto would put himself in that situation. Again, the only way you would ever get an open source Wyvern is if he gave up on running the game himself and put it out there on the hopes that someone would step up to keep it alive in some form or another. In which case, you would potentially have one or more people who take the game engine and try to do something with it; whether it's trying to replicate Wyvern or trying to use it as the basis of their own game. However, you would not have the Wyvern anymore. Instead, you're unknowingly advocating for the death of the game, as it is known, in exchange for an open source MMO game engine, which is kind of silly to me as there are plenty out there already that you can use to create the kinds of games you want, even if the game you want to create is similar to Wyvern. Hell, one of Wyvern's biggest influences, Crossfire, is completely open source and has already been used to create forks such as Daimonin which I believe is or, at least was, open source as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
When I wrote my previous post, I was hoping for the following to be released:
  • Majority of the source code
  • ****ie tower
  • New Verden (and not even the whole NV)
  • World Map
  • Untrainer
  • A Random Dungeon
  • (Preferably) One guild w/o the guild quest.
  • (Preferably) One LQ (doesn't even need the LQ boss)
I don't know what the second one is supposed to be. Do you mean the tutorial tower? If so, that's in Legolas' directory and only he can consent to releasing it. Also, there are no non-wizard live quests and with the exception of random dungeons (there's not "a" random dungeon, there's just random dungeons as all the maps are randomly generated by the rd code) the non-updated untrainer, and the paladin's guild, all of those things were built using various content from our wizard base. So you'd get a bunch of corrupted maps if they didn't come with certain directories. New Verden is especially an issue as, even though it's in the general files it's twice been redone by two different wizards who added a bunch of wizard content that primarily came from their respective directories.