View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Okay, so as you've probably figured out by now, I posted old quotes from Rhialto above. The first was from our big 10 year anniversary, (a little over a month before the game went down) the second was taken from Rhialto's old blog, (posted November 28, 2004) and the third was posted as part of an update for the last downtime on March 12th, 2007 (nine months before the game returned last time).

Links:
1 - http://web.archive.org/web/201102230.../cabochon.com/
2 - http://web.archive.org/web/200504032...s/2004_11.html
3 - http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1052

The first two are pure irony. You could take the anniversary post verbatim and people would get excited that it was talking about our future today. The second needed some dates edited out, but otherwise it has the same basic effect. The third was just mean. In my defense, I thought you guys would catch on faster since I grouped it in with the above and it was lifted right from the forum archive. Truly, I didn't think there was any way you'd fall for it unless I moved that old thread to a private forum for a bit, but I thought that would be too mean so I left it for you guys discover it quickly so I could follow it up with this post. However, even though Frosten caught on right away, people totally ignored his chatbox message and kept posting their excitement. Funny stuff.

But more importantly than my amusement, I did this to illustrate a point... which is that there's been a pattern of lofty ideas and dragging things out. Hence why I specifically said in the actual downtime thread that I would not be posting any updates from Rhialto. I was dead serious, but apparently nobody paid attention or they wouldn't have fallen for the above. Well in another moment of seriousness I'll say this; I have nothing to do with anything outside of the forum. I don't know what Rhialto plans to do with the game right now and I have no intention of ever asking either for your benefit of just for my own. I spent the entire last downtime acting as a go between and that's just not going to happen again.

Even if he asked me to post something here for your benefit I would decline and suggest he make an account here. But, let's be real, he's not going to go out of his way to update you on his own. I could have continued this joke by posting more talk from the last downtime, including one where he said he was going to find somewhere else to host the website so you guys could go there for updates. Last time that just never materialized, this time it wasn't brought up at all. Meanwhile, old sites that linked to Wyvern have moved the game into their defunct MMORPG listings (something I had to work to reverse after the last downtime) and so many players just think of the game as gone. All the while I doubt Rhialto is giving the game much thought as, unlike last time, Teshuvah and I are not bothering him about it... at all. As far I'm concerned this is between you guys and him. I have simply taken myself out of things. So if you want someone to bother him for you this time, you'd have to look elsewhere.

In the end, I do not doubt that the game will return. The question is simply how long will that take and in what capacity. All of which depends entirely on Rhialto's motivation. Now, I'm not advocating that you try to light a fire under him yourselves, but you have to decide if you want to fight for the game or continue lurking until Rhialto does something on his own. Although I may amuse myself at your expense, I do feel bad for you forum lurkers and I don't want to leave you with some notion that there's this big thing going on behind the scenes while you patiently wait on the forums. Unlike my character who thinks you're all "bags of worthless meat," I think you deserve more than that and so I leave you with this honest assessment of the situation. It may not be much, but it's all I'm capable of doing.